Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 19 - 15 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
16 December 2018 / Team News

Llangefni 19 - Caernarfon 15

Albeit close, Llangefni, on account of better ball retention throughout, were deserved victors of this low key Division 1 North encounter. This first win of the campaign, secured during the final ten minutes, coupled with their impressive bonus points tally also lifted them off the base of the league table.

The first half consisted of both teams attempting to probe for openings but both defences were up to anything that was thrown at them. Llangefni's Gethin Andrews, started in impressive fashion, being quick off the mark and a consistent gain line crosser. Centre Richard Foulkes  and second row Dion Oliver combined well to bring Cefni into the danger zone with Foulkes opening their account when converting a penalty following an offside call against the home defence after twenty three minutes.

Foulkes was also working well in partnership with fellow centre Greg Horsman to put Cefni on the front foot with Bedwyr Williams a driving force amongst the forwards and scrum half Aled Jones finding runners effectively.

Caernarfon appeared more hesitant as an attacking force in comparison but were still defensively sound and although playing with the wind at their backs the only reward for their endeavours was a well struck Aled Jones penalty just on the stroke of half time to tie the scores.

The Cofis had more success when facing the elements with far more cohesion visible. Dafydd Lloyd Williams was a driving force in midfield with Liam Leung proving difficult to bring to ground on his forward charges.  Tom Owen, in charge of Cefni was however industrious and initiated a profitable counter ruck to halt one promising attack.

However the pressure was mounting and the option of tacking quick tap penalties resulted in Caernarfon edging ever closer. Collective drives were being repelled until Liam Leung picked up and charged, with his strength on this occasion enough to shrug off defenders to see him ground beyond the try line with fifty four minutes played. It appeared at the time that the Cofis could possibly go on to dominate but Cefni to their credit had other ideas and were soon back ahead when pressure of their own saw a solid scrum platform become the springboard for a pick up and charge that saw Aaron Jeffrey crash over on entering the final quarter. Richard Foulkes torpedoed the conversion attempt successfully for Cefni to regain the lead. Minutes later following two preventing release calls, the lead was extended to five points when Richard Foulkes was again successful from the tee.

Caernarfon were seeking some inspiration and suddenly a high clearance kick was fielded by full back Aled Jones who responded with a sixty metre counterattack. Having evaded the initial attempts to halt his progress a dummy pass resulted in him creating a gap that then saw him dart the remaining thirty meters to score an excellent individual effort. He also brushed himself down to add the conversion and hence set Llangefni a stern challenge during the final ten minutes to seek a riposte.

However on this occasion they got their just reward as their gelling as a squad was the fillip needed to force the Cofis into two costly transgressions. Two holding on calls within the final few minutes allowed Richard Foulkes to slot two penalties for a personal tally of fourteen points, to draw huge cheers and an immense sigh of relief from all connected with Cae Smyrna.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos