Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 18 - 25 Ruthin RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
18 March 2019 / Team News

Caernarfon 18 - Ruthun 25

Caernarfon who had worked tirelessly to claw their way back to share the
spoils with ten minutes remaining were undone through their own lack of
composure at the death. Rhuthun had throughout however gained more
forward momentum and used that aspect to secure the decisive points
during the deteriorating second half conditions.
This sadly, was also a ill-tempered affair, linked to a tiny minority from
both camps having their own agenda and disrespecting both their club
and gallant teammates.
Rhuthun with the wind at their backs applied the early pressure and a
Nathan Jones penalty was slotted from the 22 metre line after only four
minutes. From the off both teams were attacking the ball at pace with one
fine example seeing Cofi Number 8 Mac Jones breaking clear and nearly
getting to the try line. However quick recycling to the blind side saw
winger Dylan Gwyn being released to score a well worked try with
twelve minutes played. Caernarfon's Iolo Hughes was constantly
threatening with flanker Shaun Owen also prominent in attack. Rhuthun
on the other hand drove well from line outs and one such episode saw
them camped in the danger zone whereby quick and slick passing from
stand off Phil Roberts then released Bryn Sheppard to score in the corner.
Nathan Jones missed the conversion from a difficult angle but within
minutes extended Rhuthun's lead to six points when converting a penalty
on the half hour. One further Caernarfon break nearly proved fruitful
before the break but scrum half Cai Edwards did well to get back and
cover. Indeed both he and opposite number, Caernarfon's Tomos Huw
Jones, though being the smallest in stature could be proud of their fully
committed contribution.
Aled Jones from fullback clawed three points back within two minutes of
the restart but Rhuthun counteracted when from a line out take and drive
second row, Sion Roberts crossed the whitewash to score with Nathan
Jones adding the conversion. Rhuthun dominated for a period running out
of defence effectively and keeping possession for phase upon phase. Prop
Jack Wilson being a willing ball carrier throughout. However a needless
shoulder charge, followed by a scuffle led to two Rhuthun players and
one Caernarfon player being dispatched to the sin bin for ten minutes.
Rhuthun weathered the disparity of numbers period but were outdone
later when a strong run out of defence saw Aled Jones join the line and
cut a fine angle to surge over. He duly added the conversion and almost
from the restart was able to tie the scores from the tee with ten minutes to
With time running out and a draw on the cards Cofi possession was lost
in midfield and from the resultant scrum a downfield kick put

Caernarfon's lineout under pressure close to their try line. Although
initially securing the ball, the clearance operation failed and Rhuthun
ceased the opportunity by securing the scrum and rallying to push Tudor
Parry over from a few meters out. Nathan Jones again converted to draw
the scoring to a close with the match itself ending with another distasteful
melee and a needless, though justified red card for the home winger.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos