Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 18 - 16 Mold RFC | 1st Team
Guto Pierce
Conversion 1
Penalty 2
William Pritch Pritchard
Try 2

Match Report
12 September 2016 / Team News

Caernarfon 18 - Mold 16


Caernarfon's home fixtures campaign began with a narrow win against a resolute Mold outfit that came back strongly to nearly claim the spoils in the dying minutes.

Early season rustiness was evident in the display of both teams with wrong options being chosen occasionally and a higher than expected penalty count evident from the home side. However it was pleasing to see the ball being kept in play for a considerable length of time, especially in the first half.

The Cofis started the brighter with Rhys Evans and Dafydd Lloyd going close early on but stout defending keeping them at bay. The breakthrough however came on eight minutes when another Lloyd charge, ably supported by the forwards, saw hooker Gareth Pritchard collect and charge over from close range. Assured Guto Pierce added the conversion. The Cofis continued to maintain momentum with ball in hand and a Dylan Gwyn charge down nearly brought further rewards.

Mold who had remained composed in defence found inspiration in the work rate and verve of scrumhalf James Kirby who himself nearly got Mold on the score sheet with a quickly taken penalty. Wing Laurence Jones also looked sharp in attack and also put in a diligent shift in defence when facing speedster Dylan Gwyn. This form of enterprise finally saw an offside call give Mold their first three points from the boot of Jack Martin. Other Mold sorties were thwarted courtesy of swift challenges from the likes of centre Carwyn Roberts and the boot of fullback Dominic Yau.

On the cusp of halftime a ten phase passage of play saw the Cofis yet again in the danger zone and despite lively scrumhalf Gareth Patchett being hauled down just short hooker Gareth Pritchard repeated his earlier feat by picking up, leaping over his teammate and grounding to establish a nine point advantage at the break.

Mold began the second half in more determined fashion but were undone when a neat incursion by wing Iolo Hughes caused enough disarray in their ranks to concede a penalty that Guto Pierce duly dispatched to extend the Cofi lead. Undaunted however they reverted to keeping the ball tight and began to get the measure of the Cofi scrum. A handling infringement at scrum time brought a five metre lineout with the consequent catch and drive ending with hooker Aron Jones being credited with the touchdown.

This spurred Mold on, with one kind bounce nearly giving them another breakthrough but for an excellent tackle from Cofi captain Iolo Hughes. However they were not to be denied, as an uncalled for indiscretion granted them another danger zone lineout that eventually brought the same result with Aron Jones freeing himself to score his second.

The Cofis tried manfully to gain parity in terms of possession and territory in order to preserve their slender lead and kept the Mold backline on their toes throughout. Mold flanker Chris Ellis was however a constant thorn, being quick to the breakdown and apt at securing turnovers.

With ten minutes or so to play the flood of replacements appeared, with the Cofis on defensive duties. A not releasing call saw  Wil Davies slot the penalty that meant that Mold were ahead for the first time, thus forcing the Cofi hand to respond. With bated breath the Cofi faithful willed the ball to bisect the posts when Pierce was granted one other penalty attempt following over eagerness at scrum time on the Mold twenty two. The youngster duly obliged and the beleaguered troops held on heroically for the eight added minutes to record a moral boosting victory.

Four tries and all by hookers, what's the game coming to!!!!     


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos