Mold RFC | 1st Team 11 - 32 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
21 January 2019 / Team News

Mold 11 - Caernarfon 32

Caernarfon, by virtue of scoring two tries at crucial moments either side of half time saw off the Mold challenge in this Division 1 North encounter. The contest was equal for most parts with both teams being a little too predictable in their approach to trouble the opposition unduly.

The Cofis nearly got off to the perfect start when good interplay amongst forwards and backs brought them to within inches of the line. They then persisted to pressurise the home defence and were rewarded with three points, some ten minutes in, when Guto Pierce duly slotted a penalty. The pendulum then changed, with Mold's notorious driving maul gaining them valuable metres on numerous occasions. One such rumble brought them into the danger zone and the scores were tied when full back Jack Martin replied with a successful penalty of his own mid way through the half.

Indeed Martin nudged Mold ahead with another penalty on the half hour following a high tackle call. Just as the half was about to end Caernarfon attacked from deep with stand off Carwyn Roberts finding a gap to power down field. As about to be tackled, he chipped cross field into the path of on running centre Adam Thomas, who was able to gather and crash over close to the uprights. Pierce added the conversion to draw the half to a close with the Cofis four points ahead.

Mold's cause was made that much more difficult soon after the restart. Roberts again drove purposefully and on this occasion found prop Liam Leung on the inside and he was able to charge to the try line despite a valiant effort to halt his progress. Pierce again slotted the conversion and then added a penalty when a scrum went to ground illegally to extend the lead to fourteen points.

Mold tried desperately to work their way back into contention with good work carried out by back row pair Chris Ellis and Dylan Payne, however the Cofi defence held firm and were able to contain most of the forward rushes. Winger George Bryant also fielded well and ran back at Caernarfon strongly whilst centre Richard Hopkins was a constant threat if given room to manoeuvre. However an interception by hooker Gareth Pritchard gave the Cofis quick ball and the timing and power of centre Dafydd Lloyd Williams saw him break clear from the half way line and run in unhindered to further punish the home team. Cofi scrum half Gareth Patchett helped his sides cause by being instrumental in providing his backs with relatively quick ball throughout.

Mold had to wait until the seventieth minute to trouble the Cofis with a quick tap penalty finally resulting in scrum half George Morris scrambling over the try line to give them some hope of mounting a rousing finale. However the Caernarfon defence was constantly in their faces and forcing errors at crucial times, indeed it was one such an unforced error that saw Armando Morgan pounce on a loose ball that was then swept quickly across field and allowed  makeshift winger Sion Wyn Roberts a clear path to the try line to earn a valuable try bonus point. Guto Pierce then brought the points tally to a close when slotting the front of post conversion.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos