Nant Conwy RFC | 1st Team 48 - 29 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
17 February 2019 / Team News

Nant Conwy 48 - Caernarfon 29

Both these squads served the spectators with a highly entertaining, edge of your seat style rugby fest that should do more than anything to ensure even more support for North Wales rugby in future. Nant, by virtue of gaining more forward momentum at the tackle area and their well rehearsed lineout ploys eventually drew clear to ensure a fully deserved win.

A powerful break by centre Delwyn Jones set the tone from the off with the Cofis responding through stand off Carwyn Roberts who's dummy pass split the home defence and with the ready support of centres Dafydd Lloyd Williams and Iwan Evans, wing Dylan Gwyn was freed to run in and score after three minutes. Aled Jones added the extras from an acute angle to create a seven point cushion. That luxury was soon reduced when a quick counter attack by scrum half Guto Dafydd an an illegal side entry saw pack leader Carwyn Ellis opt for a red zone lineout, only to surface soon afterwards from beyond the try line after having secured the ball from the clean take and having been driven forward with purpose. Four minutes later an identical ploy ended with the same result, with influential Carwyn Ellis again surfacing having scored his second try of the afternoon.

Caernarfon were however not too disheartened with Aled Jones notching a penalty from in front following a high tackle call to draw level, before a timely interception by centre Dafydd Lloyd Williams in Nant's twenty two led to the Cofis regaining the lead and Jones's well struck conversion affording the extras once again. During the first half the drive of Caernarfon's new and relatively inexperienced second row pairing at this level of Cedri Williams and Samiwel Williams also deserved praise for their purposeful work rate.   

On the half hour mark the scores were however once again tied with yet another infringement bringing Nant into the danger zone. A series of pick up and drives finally saw the young and very impressive traditional open side flanker Ifan Williams emerge from the melee having grounded successfully. Delwyn Jones on this occasion adding the conversion. He added a second successful conversion within three minutes when a timely pass from Carwyn Ellis brought fullback Gethin Roberts on to the ball at pace and sufficient angle to outfox the Cofi defence to score a well worked try. The spectators got their monies worth with the seventh try of the half just before the interval when a strong series of Caernarfon drives led to stand off Carwyn Roberts drifting out of the defenders reach to weave his way to the try line to put extra gloss on his fine individual performance. Aled Jones was once again assured with the boot.

However, before the half time whistle sounded a not rolling away call allowed Delwyn Jones to convert a penalty to grant Nant a twenty seven, twenty four winning margin at the break.

The Cofis succeeded to run out of defence with purpose on two occasions from the restart but the cagey Nant think tank were soon back within striking distance. Winger Dylan Gwyn did exceptionally well hold up Carwyn Ellis when his hat rick was beckoning but when a scrum was reset Guto Dafydd chose to snipe from close quarters and squeezed over. With Delwyn Jones's added conversion a ten point margin was opened for the first time.

Before the Cofis could respond the game was made relatively safe for the home side when Ellis reverted to the tried and tested with the well functioning lineout providing him with the ball to charge over from close range that once again afforded Delwyn Jones yet another conversion going into the final quarter.

The Cofis still rallied well with Liam Leung and Mac Jones prominent amid the forward effort and they justifiably secured a try bonus point following an initial strong touchline run by wing Dylan Gwyn. On being halted late the Cofis opted for a scrum, with the resulting possession being spread wide to opposite winger Adam Thomas. His kick ahead from twenty meters bounced cruelly for the covering defender and in typical six nation scoring style his persistence in following was rewarded with the five pointer.

With time running out the eleventh try of the afternoon was notched when a quick tap penalty take was halted just short, however from the persistent pressure applied a sharp and quick slight of hand was able to free blind side wing Carwyn Davies who ploughed over in the corner with Delwyn Jones's touchline conversion bringing proceedings and a thoroughly entertaining game to a close.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos