01 September 2021 / Club News

Llangefni 7 Caernarfon 34

This entertaining encounter was in the balance up to the interval with Caernarfon's early dominance of possession and territory being eventually nullified by a resolute and cohesive Cefni effort. However during the second period the Cofis used their effective ball carriers tellingly, thus allowing the fluent backline to pose a constant threat with ball in hand and by so doing scoring three unanswered tries.

Guto Pierce's penalty opened the Cofis scoring after four minutes when a not rolling away infringement was spotted. The Cofis continued on the front foot with good inter-passing keeping them in Cefni territory and after ten minutes a Sion Owen break aided by Josh Eden's sniping run allowed the backs to free centre Carwyn Roberts to score out wide. Pierce added the conversion to establish a ten point lead after ten minutes of play.

Cefni needed to regroup and this they did at the end of the first quarter when on their first foray into Caernarfon's 22, powerful centre Gethin Jones laid a marker with a strong try line charge. Quick recycling saw scrum half Aled Jones power over from close range, with Greg Horsman adding the extras to narrow the margin to three points.

Caernarfon were edging the scrum calls but the breakdown area was an energy sapping and a very keenly contested aspect of the game especially during the first half. However a powerful run by centre Thomas Divine, who's athleticism and tackling abilities throughout was most impressive, got behind Cefni's defensive line and with a deft miss-pass from number eight Mac Jones, Carwyn Roberts was able to once again ground out wide to claim an eight point lead that was held to half time.

Caernarfon were able to call on numerous substitutions of the same quality, with Pedr Jones constantly ploughing an up-field furrow on his introduction. Captain Armando Morgan was especially impressive from his hooking birth during the second period, covering every blade of grass and showing very deft hands. He played a vital part with Carwyn Roberts, giving and then supporting to take the return pass to crash over close to the posts offering Pierce another conversion to add to his tally.

Almost immediately the game went out of Cefni's reach when a Pedr Jones charge saw the ball swept quickly to line joining fullback Rhydian Williams who's balanced running evaded numerous tackles to run in from thirty meters.

Cefni to their credit mounted one further comeback and found themselves camped near the try line but the Cofi's were not in charitable mood with each of six try line charges being repelled.

With time running out following a strong Jack McGuffie charge down one wing, the ball was eventually swept across field to where Iwan Parry was able to see enough daylight to score in the corner. Guto Pierce brought a competitive and often compelling match to a close with a fine touchline conversion.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments