01 September 2021 / Club News

Bethesda 15 Caernarfon 3

Those present at the tent filled Dol Dafydd witnessed a fully committed and highly entertaining tussle between two well matched sides whilst soon realising that a high scoring encounter was not on the cards. The fact that only two clean gain line breaks were achieved throughout was testament to the tenacity and fitness levels displayed by all who took the field. Bethesda were worthy winners on account of bossing the tackle area and thus preventing the Cofis from securing quick enough ball to free their adventurous backs. Caernarfon's task was made that much harder when they lost inspirational centre Thomas Divine through injury on the stroke of halftime and then yielded a try soon after the restart to bolster and reignite the Pesda fire.

The match started brightly with the ball being spread wide by both sides, Carwyn Williams, the home scrum half, who's decision making with ball in hand had an influence on the game throughout manufactured a smart turnover to halt one promising move only for Rhodri Evans to reciprocate within minutes for the Cofis.

Influential Number eight James Davies then made the first of his clean breaks from midfield to bring play into the danger zone and although one penalty attempt failed to bisect the posts, play was contained in the Cofi final quarter with good recycling and interplay between forwards and backs creating space for flanker Gethin Harper to squeeze in at the corner.

Bethesda remained a little more composed and were quick to pounce on any errors. A carried over grounding led to a quick five meter tap nearly resulting in their lead being extended but the official was unsighted and deemed that the ball had been held up. The Cofis however remained fully committed with Aeron Sanchez giving his all and with his well supporting pack they clawed their way back to gain parity. With half an hour played a preventing release call allowed stand off Guto Peirce to slot over a penalty to reduce the lead to just two points. This was maintained until halftime despite another James Davies break that looked certain to result in a grounding. However a last ditch tackle followed by the ensuing forward moving melee failed to ensure a successful grounding.

The restart was however fruitful for the quarrymen, from a five meter lineout a series of pick up and charges tied in enough defenders to allow Gethin Harper to be fed with a miss-pass to record his second touchdown of the day.

The match remained competitive throughout the second period without any side being able to truly dominate however one timely interception by Daniel Ogwen midway through the half put Bethesda behind the Cofi defence and swift release amongst the backs freed Nils Williams to score out wide.

No further errors ensued but Caernarfon's best efforts to gain parity diminished when captain Armando Morgan was harshly yellow carded soon afterwards

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments