28 September 2021 / Club News

Caernarfon 11 Bethesda 14

Caernarfon 11 Bethesda 14.


Caernarfon were left to rue the few missed penalty opportunities that would have made the game safe well before the final ten minutes that saw Bethesda mount an all conquering closing salvo.

The Cofis started brightly against the slope, securing good second phase ball and disrupting the normally solid Pesda pack at scrum time. Within the first twenty Caernarfon found themselves six points to the good thanks to the boot of Aled Jones who slotted two penalties once when Bethesda's drive out of defence led to a holding on call and secondly for illegally preventing release.

The Cofis were sharper and more alert with Shaun Owen and Carwyn Roberts making inroads and Matt Dakin doing a noble stint as ball carrier. Bethesda made their first telling foray into the danger zone after some twenty five minutes but the Cofis were able to repel their rolling maul to clear the danger. Caernarfon then had one other opportunity to add further points during the first half but the well struck effort drifted narrowly wide of the posts.

The intervals pep talk it could be argued had more influence on Bethesda's back line than anyone, resulting in them being slightly more adventurous with ball in hand and inter passing at pace. A Ben Williams break led to an eventual grounding but celebrations were halted when the final inside pass was adjudged to have been marginally forward. Caernarfon who had once again missed a penalty opportunity counterattacked at pace with captain Armando Morgan to the fore however the final pass did not go to hand, however within a few minutes a charge and break by Gareth Pritchard saw Morgan at hand to continue the movement and with Thomas Divine and Rhydian William's input the ball was finally grounded by Aled Jones to extend the Cofi lead to eleven points. The conversion was missed as was an easier opportunity following good work by Shaun Owen and Armando Morgan. On this occasion the replacement brought on at the time for the injured Aled Jones was rightly not allowed to attempt conversion and with time running out the attempt was rushed and missed.

Bethesda kept plugging away and had conjured one midfield break that was halted by the ever alert Thomas Divine. There followed another swift interchange between winger Nils Williams and namesake fullback Dafydd that nearly created the gap that they were seeking. However the ball was recycled, leading to a lineout some eight meters out. From the catch and drive a number of pickups and charges followed with the final effort leading to a grounding by replacement back rower Ioan Roberts. Ben William's successful conversion brought Pesda to within four points with ten minutes to play.

Caernarfon were still generally in command despite this set back and put good phases together to find favourable field positions during the final few minutes, however when an over the defence chip was well collected by Ben Williams, at hand was speedster Dafydd Williams who weaved his magic and sprinted all of seventy meters to score a fine individual try, that with his stand off's conversion put Bethesda ahead for the first time.

Caernarfon tried valiantly to create one final opportunity to rescue a game that for the vast percentage of the time they had appeared to be in control of, but it was not to be.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments