Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 6 - 13 Llangefni RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
07 January 2018 / Team News

Caernarfon 6 - Llangefni 13


The fact that only three points were scored during the second forty minutes of this league encounter would rightly suggest that both teams were more than adept at nullifying any threat that each possessed.

Llangefni were however worthy winners for after they established their ten point cushion they were far more tactically astute and disciplined in their approach.

The opening exchanges saw everyone involved, being a logical tactic in view of the bitterly cold breeze. However it was the Cofis who probably had the better of the opening exchanges with the vision of stand off Carwyn Roberts nearly freeing wing Dylan Gwyn.

Llangefni got their noses in front when Greg Horsman was able to slot over a penalty from 20 meters with twelve minutes played but Aled Jones reciprocated for the Cofis within three minutes from a similar distance.

Adam Thomas found a gap in the Cefni defence but a possible promising break once again came to nothing due to poor handling skills, a trait that was sadly far too often apparent during the afternoon.

Horsman once again nudged Llangefni ahead from the tee mid way through the half and from that point onwards the islanders dominated territory and possession until the break.

Second row Dion Oliver impressed with ball in hand and centre Richard Foulkes was gaining greater influence by entering the line at pace and from acute angles. Wing Geth Andrews also appeared to have the beating of his opposite number but the ball didn't come his way that often. The Cofis on the other hand were thankful for the high work rate and excellent enveloping tackles of Mike Downey during this particular spell.

With Caernarfon hoping to hold on until half time, they were eventually outdone through their own error when a dropped pass in midfield was collected by Iwan Humphreys who then had Foulkes in support to run in from twenty metres. Horsman stepped up to slot the easiest of conversions to give Llangefni a ten point cushion at the break.

The Cofis started the second half brightly enough and got back into contention within seven minutes when Aled Jones was able to slot over his second penalty of the day. The Cofi faithful were hoping that this would lead to further pressure being applied but a lack of cohesion and structure all too often led to moves being far too predictable, thus making it easy for Llangefni to defend and nullify the possible threat. The presence of stalwart William Boun did much to galvanise the Cefni forwards, who when in possession were able to smother the ball effectively for phase upon phase. Such a tactic starved the Cofis of possession and forced them to attack from deep. On this occasion they failed to find the key that was needed to unlock the stranglehold imposed upon them and therefore had to settle for the bonus point secured as a result of wrestling themselves back to within seven points.

Players Fixture player info not published.